Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 1

Day 1 - between Laura - Maryfarms


Weight: 67 kgs

Km a day: 29.32

Total kms up to a day: 29.32

Total kms to go: 4286.68

We get up early. The plan is to take off at 9 o'clock. I had to lagh at my planning habit. There is no more planning on the road when you rely on other people and what the day brings up. There is no more daily routine and I better accept it. I do not have any other choice anyway::)).

We are only slightly off the schedule arriving to the community centre before 10 o'clock. Thomas, the chairman of community centre, is not there. He promised to have a few words for our camera. A man at the counter is advising me to visit Tommy George at home. Tommy - TG as he is known by locals is the chief of the Quinkan community centre. I am going to find him at his home. There are no street signs and I am heading to the wrong road and directed to the street across the road.

I am spotting the flag above the house quickly. Tomm George is surrounded by his family - grand son Shane and great grand son Kikky. He agress to have a few words for the camera and all of them, four generations, including son Thomas who is the chairperson of the community centre, are heading with me to the centre.

The camera is already set up for the interview and I am glad that it did not take us too long. Time is running out and I am hopping on the scooter. I am pushing myself off for my very first kilometre.
11 o'clock ad the sun is shining at full strenth. I wish for a few clouds. The sky is clear blue. How natural human being thinking - we always wish for what we do not have...

It gets well until I get on the dirt road. The scooter wheels dive into the sand and I have to push really hard to move ahead. I am thinking of my ex-husband, now my best friend, Petr. This "original" idea to push scooter from north down to Melbourne came from him. He pushed his scooter 13 years ago from Wilson Promontory to Cape York. The time to admire him arrived. When I am asked "why you choose the scooter", I think of times when I came to Australia with only one luggage and 100 dollars in my pocket. The scooter was only the vehicle I had available to move around.

I am again realizing that you can't understand another person until you have/get your own identical experience.

Now I know how much effort he must have put into managing to scoot between Laura to Cape York. That time I just simply accepted the fact that Peter followed his dream. I finally understand how hard it was.

It is very hot, the sun leans against me in full strenght. I am wearing the long sleeve shirt... I do not want to get burnt. My bod is swimming in my own sweat and the fat around my waist is melting down like ice cream. I managed to put on about 5 kilos to have some extra weight to lose. It will be gone very soon.

Peter and Maria are stopping regularly to give me sips of water. Peter is very particular about amount of water I drink. He keeps advising me on amount of water I should drink. He got this knowledge from his friend who is a fire fighter volunteer. I believe he is correct.. but I am so thirsty and the sun is still full on..

After my first 10 kms I am getting a headache and a toothache. I had an abscess in teeth treated just before the journey. The most coolest dentist I have every met, he makes you laugh even on a dental chair, assured me that if I need any dental help I can rely on his friends who live along the coast. I hope it will not be the case.

...my thoughts go back to the road... I was fixing my sunglasses and nearly fell off the scooter. You need to have hawk eyes scanning every little hole on the road to avoid an accident... oh God... I wish I was back in my daily routine.... I wish I did not leave my comfort zone... but here I am...on the road...

...The sun is still fully on and the wind is blowing against me... even downhill scooting needs strong pushes... I am checking the speedometer... still 17 kms left..

Finally we arrive at Marysfarm. I am so tired that I even do not want to speak. Peter fills up the diesel at the petrol station. There is a frog in the toilet and I want to take a picture of it. Maria was nearly running away from there when she found out on the way to Laura. It made me laugh and I want to take a picture. I do and we decide to camp as soon aspossible. I need to get into the bed.

The waiter in the pub across the road has no problem with parking "the white horse" in the enclosed area next to the pub.

I am so glad, my whole body sore and I want to be in the "bed" as soon as possible. Peter is checking if I am O.K. My yes is confirmed with eager nodding. He does not need to know how tired I am.

But he does not buy my lie at all and prepares the dinner for me as soon as possible. I smell badly ad I wish for a shower... there are many generous people around us. The waiter from the pub walks to one of the room which has not been cleaned yet allowing us to take shower now and in the morning too. It feels like winning a lottery....



No comments:

Post a Comment