Thursday, July 8, 2010

Beginning

I want to live in the world where children are valued and appreciated! Don't you?

On the 1st of July I embarked on the journey of self-discovery - to challenge myself physically, emotionally, spiritually and financially...

On this journey I also want to find out who I really am and most importantly, I want to help... I want to help those who are the most vulnerable... children...

Please let me quote here Peter Singer the author of "The Life you Can Save"
"I guess basically one wants to feel that one's life has amounted to more than just consuming products and generating garbage.
I think that one likes to look back and say that one's done the best one can to make this a better place for others. You can look at it from this point of view:
What greater motivation can there be than doing whatever one possibly can to reduce pain and suffering?"

I absolutely agree with Peter and that's why for the next 5 month, I will be on the road scootering down to Melbourne from Queensland with one belief.... belief in people's generosity...
...a belief that all together we can make this world a better place... and reduce suffering...


Weight: 67 kgs

Total expected weight loss: 10-15 kgs

Kms completed: 155 kms

Physical state: I am not athlete but I am fit ( I would scooter approx 7 kms after work for about a year and would also work out at the Re-Creation Club in Sandringham for the last 3 years).

Emotional state: There were hundreds and hundreds hours spent on this project so far. I was so confident while I was preparing it... now ....when it is already happening I feel " a heavy stone" in my stomach... It is a strange feeling to step out of my comfortable zone to "mark a new map" for myself... and yes... I am nervous what day to day brings into my life.......

Financial challenge: 83K spent out of pocket so far

Donation: Raised $ 4183.25 so far

Donation page site: http://savethechildrenfundraising.org.au/vratka_pokorna

The company raising funds
for this cause: Troy Meloxicam company

Thank you note: Thank to all of you who were "donating" your time to make this project possible/happening. In particular I would like to thank to my sister Martina who encouraged me emotionally and also financially and also

...to my colleaque/friend Shayela H for listening to my ideas about 1.5 years while I was shaping/brainstorming the project, planning it and organizing and also for editing my writing.

Kelly Johns ( for helping me to prepare all written material)

Joel Ch. ( who arranged for 5 month time off)

Milan P ( who serviced my scooter, support vehicle and arranged many other technical things)

Vivian from Vivianne's Cafe in Sandringham ( who listened to all of my ideas and encouraged me when I was down for the past 3 months).

My friend Rosemary ( for contributing her ideas and patiently listening to my ideas)

Richard Brown from Sunset films production ( who is preparing the short clips on my web-site).

Jirka S ( for arranging all IT and Audio equipment)

Mirka G and Deb L ( for boosting my confidence)

Ales N ( for the logo design)

David N ( for maitaining my web-site)

Richard N ( for photographs)



...and to all my friends, colleagues and people who were helping and encouraging me in any way and also...

All of you who have already contributed to this cause and all of you who will contribute!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Vratka
    I hope your day has gone according to plan. You are truly an inspiration to all of us, you have proven that one's dreams can be achieved by just actioning it and dealing with any obstacles being encountered.
    There will definitely be many more considerable contribution made to this great cause, because of your dreams and determination to never give up on helping underprivileged children. We at home are sending you our best wishes; I know you have amazingly strong will power that has never allowed you to lose sight of your goals. We have unwavering faith that you will achieve what you want and we are cheering for you back in Melbourne.
    Take care and I am looking forward to talking to you tomorrow.
    Rosemary Demirtas

    ReplyDelete